WSET® Level 1 Award in Spirits
Online Course – $329
The Level 1 Award in Spirits course is a thorough introduction to the world of spirits suitable for individuals new to the subject, whether you are already working in the beverage or hospitality trade or are a devoted spirit and cocktail enthusiast. If you are pursuing your passion or want to start a career in the spirits business, this qualification provides a solid foundation! You’ll explore the main styles and types of spirits through sight, smell, and taste to understand the key factors affecting flavors and aromas. Upon completing the course and passing the examination, you will receive a WSET certificate and lapel pin!
Prerequisite: None, just a great deal of enthusiasm!
On ﬁrst appearance, the world of spirits can seem rather daunting. There are many categories of spirits, such as vodka, Cognac, and Tequila, that are very different. Add to this an equally large number of cocktails prepared using stirrers, shakers, and strainers, and it can be hard to know where to start. However, it does not have to be this way. This course is designed to introduce you to the underlying structure, allowing you to make sense of the spirits you see lined up neatly on a retailer’s shelf or behind a bar.
During this course, students will hone their spirits knowledge with expert guidance while learning:
- The basic principles of spirit production
- The main types and styles of spirits
- How to serve spirits
- Factors affecting the flavor of spirits
- How to describe spirits using the WSET Level 1 Systematic Approach to Tasting Spirits® (SAT)
By the end of the course, you will be able to taste spirits using a globally recognized approach while identifying the key styles and characteristics important to each category.
Anyone embarking on a WSET qualification should familiarize themselves with the corresponding specification. This document will help you understand what to expect and what you will get from the course.
Online Course Includes
- 4 weeks of expert guidance as you work through each online module:
- What are Spirits & How are They Made?
- Introduction to Tasting Spirits
- Cognac & Vodka
- Rum & Tequila
- Flavored Spirits & Aromatized Wines
- Mixing with Spirits
- Quizzes at the end of each module to check your progress
- 12 months of access to the Level 1 online learning material for self-paced learning
- 30+ WSET Level 1 practice exam questions
- Exam fees (exam is scheduled at the end of the course)
- Frameable certificate & lapel pin (upon passing the examination)
- The Level 1 Award in Spirits examination consists of 30 multiple-choice questions to be completed in 45 minutes.
- To pass you must correctly answer 70% of the questions.
- This exam may be taken in-person or online via remote invigilation.
- Successful students will receive a WSET certificate and lapel pin.
- This qualification is Ofqual regulated.
Please refer to the corresponding page in our policies for information on cancellations, refunds, and transfers.