WSET® Level 1 Award in Sake
Online Course – $329
The Level 1 Award in Sake course is a thorough introduction to the world of sake suitable for individuals new to the subject, whether you are already working in the beverage or hospitality trade or are a devoted sake enthusiast. If you are pursuing your passion or wanting to start a career in the world of sake, this qualification provides a solid foundation! You’ll explore the main styles and types of sake through sight, smell, and taste to understand the key factors affecting flavors and aromas. Upon completing the course and passing the examination, you will receive a WSET certificate and lapel pin!
Prerequisite: None, just a great deal of enthusiasm!
Sake is intimately linked with Japan. Indeed, one of the official names for sake, nihon-shu, literally means ‘Japanese alcoholic drink.’ With sake, you have something that is intricately and deliciously Japanese. This course is designed to show you how a humble grain of rice can be made to deliver such a diversity of styles with different flavors and textures. You will also get to know the all-important Japanese names for these styles. These fundamental reference points will enable you to navigate the fascinating world of sake.
During this course, students will hone their sake knowledge with expert guidance while learning:
- The basic principles of sake production
- The main types and styles of sake
- How to serve sake
- Factors affecting the flavor of sake
- How to describe sake using the WSET Level 1 Systematic Approach to Tasting Sake® (SAT)
By the end of the course, you’ll know the principal categories of sake available, what defines them and what characteristics to expect from them. You’ll have learned how to taste and describe sake using a globally recognized approach and will know how to serve and store sake optimally. You’ll also be familiar with some important Japanese sake labeling terms.
Anyone embarking on a WSET qualification should familiarize themselves with the corresponding specification. This document will help you understand what to expect and what you will get from the course.
Online Course Includes
- 4 weeks of expert guidance as you work through each online module:
- What is Sake & How is it Made?
- Categories & Grades of Sake
- Introduction to Tasting Sake
- Making Different Styles of Sake
- Japanese Labeling Terms & Speciality Styles
- Storage & Service of Sake
- Pairing Sake & Food
- Quizzes at the end of each module to check your progress
- 12 months of access to the Level 1 online learning material for self-paced learning
- 30+ WSET Level 1 practice exam questions
- Exam fees (exam is scheduled at the end of the course)
- Frameable certificate & lapel pin (upon passing the examination)
- The Level 1 Award in Sake examination consists of 30 multiple-choice questions to be completed in 45 minutes.
- To pass you must correctly answer 70% of the questions.
- This exam may be taken in-person or online via remote invigilation.
- Successful students will receive a WSET certificate and lapel pin.
- This qualification is Ofqual regulated.
Please refer to the corresponding page in our policies for information regarding cancellations, refunds, and transfers.